We decided to take away Sam's pacifier. He was only using it at nap time and bedtime, but we figured the longer we let him have it the harder it will be to take it away. So we set "after vacation" as our goal. I feel like the meanest mommy ever!!!
This is our 3rd night without it. He did actually go to sleep tonight without crying. I'm sure it was just a fluke and he'll be back to crying tomorrow night. He asked for it tonight, but I was really nonchalant about it and said "you gave it to baby Ray, remember silly?" He just laughed and said "baby Yay" (aka, Baby Ray). See our friends Ray and Ida had a baby Friday morning. We went to visit them on Sunday afternoon. We had been telling Sam for a couple of days that he should give his beebee to Baby Ray - that babies need beebees, not big boys. He was totally agreeable and told us all day Saturday and Sunday, "beebee Baby Yay!"
When the time came for him to actually give the beebee to Baby Ray, he was not so sure about it but he did it (we snuck it back home though just in case!). In bed Sunday night, after his crying spell, he just sat in his bed saying "beebee, Baby Yay" over and over again. It was like he was jabbing a knife into my heart over and over again!
We haven't really tackled naptime yet - he gave it up after his nap on Sunday, Monday we went to a family bbq and he didn't take a nap, and today he went to school where I let them give him the pacifier that they have because I wanted him to nap instead of keeping the other kids awake. So our nap challenge begins tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to it!
So, I'll keep you posted on the beebee drama...
5 comments:
That is a big step! Yea Sam! He will forget soon, but I totally know what you mean about the knife in the heart!!!
Oh! I'm going through the same torture right now with Jordyn. I've gotten her down to nap/night time. This, after her pulling out every drawer and emptying it looking for them for a solid week while screaming. Whew. We got past that obstacle. Now, I want to rid her of the sleep part too, but the Rowlands are coming in July and we're going to have a lot of car trips. Part of me wants to yank it now, and part of me says wait until then so we can ride in peace... Ugh. Decisions... it's like that last piece of "baby," ya know??!!! Ahh... I feel for you. Good luck!
I feel for you! Why are these little things so hard? Luckily, Mason was done with his paci around 9 months--he never cared for it that much. But I know the "I'm a bad Mommy" feeling your talking about with our other "issues!" Good Luck!
Oh-I just remembered. To break her daughter of a paci, my friend, one by one cut the tip off of them and told her that she sucked too hard & that they were "broken." She would get her to throw them in the trash & evenually they were all gone & she was fine with it. The whole process only took like 2 weeks! Maybe it would work with Sam?
Sam has only had 1 paci for over a year now and he "gave it away" and thinks we don't even have it any more. So I can't cut it, but I have heard of that too. That's what I had planned to do actually until I decided he could give it to the baby.
oh, we are also about to have to tackle that one, both girls... after our two vacations we are going to try... not looking forward to it at all!
Post a Comment