Friday, April 24, 2009

Missing TV

I know some people do not let their children watch tv and I can totally respect that, but I'm not one of them. I often feel really guitly for letting him watch as much as I do - especially when I let him watch so I can do something else. However, we took TV away from him as a punishment this week.
The potty-training is going great unless he has to poop. He suddenly refuses to poop in the potty. He was rewarded with a new Thomas movie when he started pooping in the potty so we took it away when he stopped. Then we took all of the movies away. Then the TV in general (playhouse disney to be exact). I didn't want to punish him over this, but he flat out lied to me and told me he wasn't pooping in his underwear and he was. So I felt he needed to be punished. However, that is not working. Nothing we have tried will convince him to poop on the potty. So I've decided to just let it go. I told him to tell me when he needs to poop and I'll put a pull up on him (so he isn't going in his underwear). When he does this, he'll get the TV and movies back. And he'll get 2 new Thomas movies if he'll start pooping on the potty again.

So we'll see how today goes - because I think the no TV is more punishment for me than for him! I'm exhausted! We've spent pretty much every day at the park or running errands. Primarily to keep me from caving!

If any of you have some really great suggestions on getting him to poop, let me know! I have some Thomas stamps coming - hopefully today. I plan to create a chart and use the stamps as incentive, but I'm not so sure that's going to work.
Here are some pictures from Easter that I forgot to post - the egg hunt we did at our house (inside of course thanks to the rain) and one at his Grandma & Grandpa's house. Also playing with some of the goodies from his Easter basket. He loves the magnifying glass and making our faces big!










4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I only wish I had some advice for the potty training! I feel your pain! I think the chart is a great idea.
Mason got a magnifying glass for Easter, too! Looks like the same one maybe-how funny!
Oh-and our boys wore almost the same sweater vest at Easter too!

Matt and Jolee said...

Mitzi - you know I always have a comment. lol

Hayden did this to me. I seriously thought the child would never poop in the potty. He was pee trained like 6 months or more before he decided to poop. I went through the pooping in the underwear thing, only to do the same thing you are resorting to - putting a pull up on. I was tired of cleaning poop out of underwear - nasty!

When I got tired of him pooping in pull ups (b/c he asked for one every day), I wouldn't let him have one and he would hold it for days. Then, would complain his tummy hurt after a few days and I would cave in and give him the pull up. It was a vicious cycle!

The doctor told me I needed to just ignore the behavior. When he decides to do it, he will. So, toward the end I did just that. I decided not to make a big deal of it... and it finally worked. One day, he just decided he would go and he never looked back. I have a picture of his poop in the potty and would love to share it with you if I had it with me. However, you are spared because it's in the states and is before I had a digital camera, lol. I was one happy camper.

My suggestion in giving him a pull up to do it, is make him go into the bathroom if he is going to wear a pull up to do his business. At least he will begin associating the right room with the action. Give him some trains in there and let him do his thing... then maybe, he will eventually decide to do it in the right place. Good luck!

Amanda @ Bibs and Cribs said...

Ha! What a little stinker! I am SOOO looking forward to that!

I enjoyed Jolee's post--I would totally take a picture of the first poo in the potty! =)

Kate Hart said...

Negative reinforcement almost never works in potty training. It just leads to more power struggles, or worse, they start holding it altogether and develop chronic constipation. Not fun!

Have you guys tried a potty chart? We started with a treat for every poop (a cookie), with a bigger treat at the end of the row (cars, cars and more cars). I was always against charts b/c we weren't allowed to use them at the NS, but it has been a freaking life savor at our house.