Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gymnastics

Sam actually hung from the parallel bar today at gymnastics! He normally puts his hands on it, screams if I try to get him to lift his feet up, and then runs off. Today, he ran right up to it, grabbed on and started swinging like a monkey! Yet another example of how he does things on his own terms...ALWAYS! I try really hard not to push him to do things when he refuses because I know it will only make it worse (within reason anyway - refusing to pick up toys or follow an order does not count). It has taken me 2 1/2 years to figure that out, but it usually results in way fewer tantrums.

He has come SO FAR in gymnastics and I'm so proud of him! I was ready to quit after the first couple of classes...and it took a full month before we actually got through a class with no tears, but now it's all good. He still refuses to participate every once in a while, but he knows now that I will make him sit and watch everyone else (he can't get up and go play somewhere else) if he decides not to participate. He gets bored pretty quickly and eventually decides to join the action! Good job buddy!

No comments: