Thursday, December 09, 2010

Daddy's stuff

I went to Fort Smith on Monday to help my mom and sister clean up my dad's "He-man Woman Haters" room. That's what we called his version of a man cave. He had so much stuff in there that I felt a little like I was in an episode of Hoarders! He was a bit of a pack rat, and not a very organized one at that. It was very interesting though to go through a lot of it. So many things I had to ask about- gun parts, bullets (sooooo many bullets! He did all of his reloading in this room), bow and arrow parts, cleaning supplies, trophies, lots of camo and hunting supplies, etc.

I came away with a relatively small box of items. Not necessarily things I will ever need or use, but just little reminders of Daddy. A gee, some karate gloves, a drafting tool kit, a watch, cigar boxes. We threw a lot away but also kept a ton of stuff. My mom just wants to clean, paint and recarpet the room and then put some of it back into the room. So we just boxed up what she wanted to keep.

I was preparing for a very emotional day. However, it was a pretty good day. My mom, sister and I are not together in one room very often so that was actually kind of nice. We also had so many questions about what stiff was and where it belonged that we were pretty focused!

I snapped pictures of a few trophies. And the cover of a shooting magazine that he was on as a range officer for a shoot he participated in. All very cool, think!












- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Greg, Kristy, and John Lleyton said...

So glad you got to do this. Nice to be able to go through things and it sounds like it was cleansing for all!